3.27.2012

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got" -Janis Joplin

Fooled by B/Hollywood movies, we often forget the things a woman shouldn't be. Dependent and Distracted among the Dont's, Disenchanted and Driven among the Do's.

I'm not talking about single ladies. I'm reaching further than Beyonce and telling all the ladies in the house to put your hands up. Why? Because you can. Because you came into this world as an independent female with your hands way up, reaching for your new life, and there is absolutely no reason to stop that now.

Why do people try to tell us otherwise? Why is being single something that causes people to say, "Don't worry, we'll find you someone"? And why is this something we never seem to grow out of? Don't tell me that I need someone to make my life complete. Don't tell me that someone else, better yet a stranger, can help me better than I can help myself. I don't buy that - sorry I'm not sorry.

Don't get me wrong - I think relationships are great. Marriage can be cool too. Heck, as humans of course we need some companionship. But there's more to that, which is what people forget to tell us. When was the last time you saw a movie about a kickass chick and her crazy independent life? No love, drama, or relationships attached? Why aren't we being fed this kind of soul food - the kind that gets you off your ass and doing you day in and day out?

That's the kind of sista-friend energy I'm looking for. A world where females know that these irreplaceable hours are not your partner's or your crush's or your whatever's. So be a little selfish, act a little coy, and don't be afraid that the right guy won't come chasing after the whirlwind you leave trailing behind you. Because this is YOUR time on Earth, so make it younique - if you're going to share this precious gift with someone, they better be damn well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment